Watrous Associates Architects|
Sun-Earth Homes are custom designed by Gary Watrous, AIA, of Watrous
Associates Architects P.S.C., a Louisville solar architectural firm.
These homes are designed according to nationally recognized standards
of DOE's National Renewable Energy Laboratory and the Sustainable Buildings Industry Council.
(click to expand)
| In 1994, Mr. Watrous received an award for energy efficient
design from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden,
Colorado. The energy-efficient features save 3 to 4 times
more heat and cooling energy than a conventional house, yet
offer great flexibility in the creation of a unique and comfortable
Every Sun-Earth Home possesses state-of-the-art passive solar
features, maintains competitive construction cost, and carries our
- Super-insulated walls and ceilings that minimize energy bills
in winter and summer
- Passive solar systems that provide 30% to 50% of winter heat
- Windows are placed to maximize solar energy capture and minimize
- Open interior design provides bright natural lighting and a
connection to the outdoors
- A patented Airfloor system stores solar heat in the concrete
subfloor and provides comfortable radiant heat in winter
(click to expand)
- Contractor's construction costs for these homes are in the
range of $100 to $150 per square foot -- typical of custom homes
Unlike conventional homes, in winter or even on cloudy days, the interior will
be bright and cheerful with an unmitigated connection to its natural surroundings.
- Unlike conventional homes, a Sun-Earth Home will pay you
back for its construction cost -- through savings on energy bills.
Over the lifetime of a home, savings can equal the entire
original construction cost.
- Watrous Associates offers a written guarantee that your Sun-Earth Home
will require much less energy to heat and cool than a conventional home of the
same size. Each guarantee is crafted according to the unique features of
each Sun-Earth Home.
To report problems with this site e-mail